Payroll.Kiwi Limited, trading as Simply Payroll, and any company in its group (together, Simply Payroll) complies with the New Zealand Privacy Act 1993 (the Act) when dealing with personal information. Personal information is information about an identifiable individual (a natural person).
This policy sets out how Simply Payroll will collect, use, disclose and protect your personal information. This policy does not limit or exclude any of your rights under the Act. If you wish to seek further information on the Act, see www.privacy.org.nz.
In addition to reading this policy, you should also read the Simply Payroll Terms and Conditions which govern the provision, and your use, of Simply Payroll’s services. Where words and phrases are defined in those Terms and Conditions, they have the same meaning in this policy unless stated otherwise.
CHANGES TO THIS POLICY
Simply Payroll may change this policy by updating it on the App and the Website. The change will apply from the date that Simply Payroll updates the revised policy.
This Policy was last updated on 25 May 2015.
WHO DOES SIMPLY PAYROLL COLLECT YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION FROM
Simply Payroll collects personal information about you from:
- you, when you provide that personal information to Simply Payroll, including when you use the Services, through any registration or subscription process, and through any contact with Simply Payroll (e.g. a telephone call or email); and
- third parties where you have authorised this (e.g. from your employer in order to provide payroll related services) or where the information is publicly available.
If possible, Simply Payroll will collect personal information from you directly.
If you supply Simply Payroll with personal information about another individual (e.g. if you are an employer supplying employee information so that you can use the Services), you must ensure you have that individual’s agreement:
- to the supply of the personal information; and
- for Simply Payroll to use, collect, and disclose that individual’s personal information to provide the Services and otherwise in accordance with this policy. ￼
WHAT PERSONAL INFORMATION DOES SIMPLY PAYROLL COLLECT?
Depending on the Services Simply Payroll is providing, Simply Payroll may collect the following information:
- bank account details;
- IRD number;
- salary and wage details, including related deductions (e.g. child support payments, payroll giving donations, and KiwiSaver employee deductions);
- name, address, email address, and telephone numbers; and
- other information required to provide the Services and related administration and support tasks.
HOW SIMPLY PAYROLL USES YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
Simply Payroll will use your personal information:
- to verify your identity;
- to provide the Services and any related service or product to you, including support services;
- to market the Services and new services and products to you, including contacting you electronically (e.g. by text or email) for this purpose;
- to improve the Services;
- to undertake credit checks of you (if necessary);
- to invoice you and to collect money that you owe Simply Payroll;
- to contact you and to respond to communications from you, including a complaint;
- to conduct research and statistical analysis (on an anonymised basis);
- to protect and/or enforce our legal rights and interests, including defending any claim;
- for Simply Payroll’s administration purposes; and
- for any other purpose authorised by you or the Act.
DISCLOSING YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
Simply Payroll may disclose your personal information to:
- another company within the Simply Payroll group or a subcontractor for the purpose of providing the Services;
- any business that supports Simply Payroll’s Services, including any person that hosts or maintains Underlying Systems or a data centre that Simply Payroll uses to provide the Services;
- a credit reference agency for the purpose of credit checking you;
- a debt collection agency for the purpose of collecting overdue amounts from you;
- other third parties (as anonymised statistical information, i.e. you will not be identifiable);
- a person who can require Simply Payroll to supply your personal information (e.g. a regulatory authority);
- any other person authorised by the Act or another law (e.g. a law enforcement agency); and
- any other person authorised by you.
STORING AND PROTECTING YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
Simply Payroll may store your personal information electronically and in paper form. Once in Simply Payroll’s control, Simply Payroll will take reasonable steps to keep your personal information safe from loss and unauthorised access, use, copying and disclosure.
While Simply Payroll takes reasonable steps to maintain secure internet connections, if you provide Simply Payroll with personal information over the internet, the provision of that information is at your own risk. You must ensure you have in place systems and protections to ensure your personal information is secure when you transmit it to Simply Payroll.
Simply Payroll will keep your personal information for as long as Simply Payroll requires it for the purposes described under the heading “How Simply Payroll Uses Your Personal Information” or for the fulfilment of any legal obligation on Simply Payroll (e.g. if Simply Payroll provides certain payroll related Services, it is required to hold certain data for 7 years after the last processed Payrun).
ACCESSING AND CORRECTING YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
Subject to certain grounds for refusal set out in the Act, you have the right to access your readily retrievable personal information that Simply Payroll holds and to request a correction to your personal information. Before you exercise this right, Simply Payroll will need evidence to confirm that you are the individual to whom the personal information relates. In respect of a request for correction, if Simply Payroll thinks the correction is reasonable and it is reasonably able to change the personal information, Simply Payroll will make the correction. If Simply Payroll does not make the correction, it will take reasonable steps to note on the personal information that you requested the correction.
If you want to exercise either of the above rights, email Simply Payroll at firstname.lastname@example.org. Your email should provide evidence of who you are and set out the details of your request (e.g. the personal information, or the correction, that you are requesting).
Simply Payroll may charge you its reasonable costs of providing to you copies of your personal information or correcting that information.
If you have any query about this policy or Simply Payroll’s collection of your personal information, please email Simply Payroll at email@example.com.